Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

St Mel's Cathedral Restoration Project, Longford, Co Longford

Excavation Licence no. 11E02412, 2011-2014

 

 

stmels1

St. Mel’s Cathedral is situated on the south east of Longford town (RMP LF013-026) at a juncture of roads, including the main Dublin road as it turns into Longford town. The cathedral, a protected structure (NIAH reg. no. 13003002), was built between 1840 and 1893 and is a large neoclassical structure with a nave reached through a portico accessed by steps. The cathedral was built on the grounds of an earlier catholic church (extant throughout the 19th century and probably earlier) and occupies a space which was once the grounds of that church.

Archaeological monitoring was carried out in St. Mel’s Cathedral from 2011. The cathedral was very badly damaged in the fire of Christmas Day 2009 and now requires extensive rebuilding of its interior, which will include substantial groundworks. Test pits were monitored in 2011 while in 2012, ground reduction and pits for columns were monitored in the interior of the cathedral and a crane pit was monitored on the exterior. Post-medieval pottery dated between the 18th and early 19th century came to light during the digging of the pits. Ground reduction for refurbishment of the Bishops Place at the north end of the cathedral as well as drainage trenches in this area were monitored between March and October 2013. Monitoring of service trenches in the grounds of the cathedral have been monitored so far this year.

 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News