Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Article Index
Mt Jerome
Page 2
All Pages

Mt Jerome Cemetery, Dublin 6
2010-2014

  

 Mt Jerome Cemetery 1A new cremator and filtration unit was being built to the west of the chapel in the area of existing stables and carriage sheds at Mount Jerome cemetery, Dublin 6. A new carriage shed was also being constructed. The site of the proposed development was situated directly adjacent to the existing 18th /19th century house at Mount Jerome and development will take place within the former stable yards of the house. Archaeological monitoring was carried out under Licence no. 10E0189 Mount Jerome cemetery (Plate 1) was developed on an estate called Mount Jerome in 1836 when it was purchased by The General Cemetery Company of Dublin. The Cemetery was not developed on an earlier graveyard site, ecclesiastical site or site with any history prior to the 18th century when it was a demesne enclosing a large house (DU018-049). It was deliberately purchased in 1836 to provide a need for the growing population of Dublin and its suburbs. The present mortuary chapel within the cemetery (by the former house and stables) was completed in 1847. The former Church of Ireland (now a Russian Orthodox Church) at the entrance to Mount Jerome was built in 1836 (Langtry 1997, 7-11). Therefore, though the site has the appearance of a church and cemetery of some antiquity, it is in fact relatively recent as a site of significance.

Plate 1: view of cemetery facing north.



 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News