Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Article Index
Corduff
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages

 

 

 

 

Corduff 3The barony of Castleknock was granted to Hugh Tyrrell by Hugh de Lacy who came to Ireland in 1171. The Tyrell family appears to have prospered on the lands throughout the 13th century. During this time a number of families were established on the Castleknock lands, either by grant from the crown or from the Tyrells. To the north-west, at Corduff, was the family of de la Felde and at Abbotstown and Blanchardstown, the families of Abbot and Blanchard, from whom these areas derived their names (Ball 1920, 8-11). At the close of the 14th century the de la Feldes were still found at Corduff (ibid., 15). Though there were great changes in the lands forming the barony of Castleknock in the following centuries, as described by Ball, the de la Feldes were still at Corduff at the end of the 16th century: ‘In the last decade of that century (they) sent a mounted archer from it to a hosting at Tara’, (ibid., 17). Early in the 17th century, Corduff become the residence of the Warren family who lived there for the next two hundred years.

Fig 3: First Edition Ordnance Map, 1843



 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News