Judith Carroll & Co

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Article Index
Corduff
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
All Pages

Corduff Park
2009-2010

 

 

  

Corduff 1Monitoring and excavation were carried out in advance of the construction of a Childcare Centre on the grounds of Corduff Park, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15, for Corduff Childcare Services Ltd between August 2009 and January 2010 (licence ref. 05E0360; licensee Judith Carroll).

Previously in 2005, monitoring and archaeological excavation under the same licence was undertaken and managed by this company. The monitoring and excavation in 2005 uncovered part of the remains of Corduff House. Further remains of Corduff House were uncovered as well as a lime kiln and earlier contexts during this phase of excavation.

Fig 1: Down Survey Map, 1655


 

 

 

 

  

Corduff 2The site is located to the north-east of Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. It is on the former Corduff estate, the grounds and demesne lands of Corduff House. The location of the Corduff House was on the highest point in the immediate area at 64.325 OD.

The site of the development of the Childcare Centre is located in the vicinity of RMP DU 013-025, a dwelling. The RMP files refer to the large house and gardens figured on the Down Survey maps of circa 1655, in the Corduff Demesne. The exact position of the 17th century house in the estate is not clear, but it is suggested in the files that it may be on the site of, or incorporated in, the demesne house which existed there. Rocque’s map shows the demesne in 1760, but does not further clarify the position of the major house. The position of Corduff House in the early 19th century is recorded on the first edition OS map and again in the early 20th century on the OS map 1910. From this series of maps it would appear that the precise location of Corduff House within Corduff Demesne has changed considerably over time.

Fig 2: Rocque's Map, 1760


 

 

 

 

Corduff 3The barony of Castleknock was granted to Hugh Tyrrell by Hugh de Lacy who came to Ireland in 1171. The Tyrell family appears to have prospered on the lands throughout the 13th century. During this time a number of families were established on the Castleknock lands, either by grant from the crown or from the Tyrells. To the north-west, at Corduff, was the family of de la Felde and at Abbotstown and Blanchardstown, the families of Abbot and Blanchard, from whom these areas derived their names (Ball 1920, 8-11). At the close of the 14th century the de la Feldes were still found at Corduff (ibid., 15). Though there were great changes in the lands forming the barony of Castleknock in the following centuries, as described by Ball, the de la Feldes were still at Corduff at the end of the 16th century: ‘In the last decade of that century (they) sent a mounted archer from it to a hosting at Tara’, (ibid., 17). Early in the 17th century, Corduff become the residence of the Warren family who lived there for the next two hundred years.

Fig 3: First Edition Ordnance Map, 1843


 

 

 

 

Corduff 4During excavation and monitoring for the childcare centre, portions of Corduff House were uncovered. Further excavation of the underlying ground levels revealed the presence of earlier archaeological deposits. A stone walled structure below the Corduff House was uncovered. This structure truncated an earlier field boundary/ditch which was one of the earliest archaeological features visible in the levels of the site. To the south-east of Corduff House, a lime kiln was uncovered, one of the flues of which lay underneath Corduff House at its eastern corner.

Fig 4: Ordnance Survey Map, 1910

References

Ball, F. E. 1920 A History of the County Dublin. Vol. 6. Dublin.
The Down Survey maps of the Parish of Castleknock and the Barony of Castleknock, 1655 Rocque’s map of the county of Dublin 1760.
First edition Ordnance Survey map, 6 inch sheet, Dublin sheet 13, 1843.
Files in the RMP (Record of Monuments and Places) office in the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

 

facebookicon

Judith Carroll & Co Ltd
Archaeological Consultants
Ballybrack Road 
Glencullen
Dublin 18 

Tel: 01 6705067
Mobile: 087-9968819/ 087-3810933
Email: info@judithcarrollandco.ie
Website: www.judithcarrollandco.ie


Latest News